Friday, April 17, 2009

'Ragged' Baby Quilt Instructions

Yea, I finished baby Cade's 'ragged' baby quilt to match his western themed room. It really was easy!


I used two cotton fabrics (red bandana and denim) and backed it with a flannel. I started by cutting 10 1/2 inch blocks of all fabrics and cutting 9 inch blocks of batting. I layered the flannel wrong side up, centered a block of batting next and then topped it with either a bandana or denim block, right side up and sewed an X from corner to corner, with all 1/2 inch seams to the front.
Now, I'm sure you noticed that I have 'Cade's' name on alternating blocks. That was really easy. I used 'Goudy' bold font and got it to a size that looked right to me and then printed it on card stock, cut each letter out and used this as my pattern. To attach each letter to a block set (flannel, batting and top fabric) , I just used a tight zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine.
Sew each block in whatever pattern you want with seams all on the front of the quilt. When you finish the back of the quilt should be smooth. Now comes the fun part. I used scissors to cut ever 1/4 inch, but making sure not to cut my seam. In the picture above, I had washed the quilt three times and each time it will look better.
You will note some people like to add additional layers of flannel to their blocks to make the ragging thicker, but I found that this was thick enough for me and I didn't want it too thick for the baby. Please ask if I have left anything out. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment